No.There is no guilt by association.The police cannot threaten family members or friends of an individual who is a suspect in a crime or who has been arrested.

Neither can the police take a family member or friend into custody and use them as a bargaining tool.

If the police take a family member into custody without significant reason, it amount to a serious crime of illegal detention or kidnapping at a minimum on the part of the police. 

Suggested articles

What You Should Do If You Witness A Crime

If you are witnessing a crime, the first thing to do is to get out of harm's way and hide yourself. You must the...

Crime Overview

  The principal duty of the police is to maintain order and keep us safe. An integral responsibility that c...

Do I Have To Go If The Police Ask Me To Come To The Station?

No, not unless the police are arresting you. If the police want to question you about a crime that you mig...