DRIVING LICENSE: FACTS
- Driving on public roads is not permitted without a valid Driver’s License
- Every Indian national is only permitted to hold one Driver’s License. You cannot hold a DL from multiple RTO’s or States
- A Learners License or Driver’s License is valid throughout all States and Union Territories of India
- Each class of motor vehicle requires a separate mention on the license. For example if you have a license mentioning only permission for LMV or car, it does not give you the right to you ride a motorcycle on the road.
- No one can drive a transport vehicle unless they have the special license to do so
- You must be 18 years of age to be eligible for a Driver’s License of a private vehicle
- To be eligible for a license of a public or transport vehicle one must be a minimum of 20 years of age
- An individual on turning 16 years of age can apply for a permit to drive/ride a motor vehicle whose engine capacity is less than 50cc
- A Learners License is valid for six months from the date of issue
- A Driver’s License is valid for a period of 20 years from the date of issue or until the person attains fifty years of age, whichever comes first
Reference Source: Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
Police coming to the private residence of a citizen to ‘bust’ or break up a party that is taking place is a common occurrence. In technical terms, there is no ‘busting’ of a house party. The police can only enter a private residence to search the premises or seiz...
People’s homes and offices are private places and so the law requires any authority who wants to invade that privacy give concrete and legitimate reason to do so. If the police wish to enter and conduct a search of a private residence or office then, they must first...
Select categoryWomen empowerment and issues How acts and laws work Elections Know your Police Current Issues Expert Speak Budget
No, not unless the police are arresting you. If the police want to question you about a crime that you mig...
Currently the police have a voluntary scheme of ‘servant registration’. It is not a mandatory proce...